Vestries, Bishop’s Committees and other lay leaders are often called upon to undertake important responsibilities when emergency situations strike. The Emergency Planning Committee of The Diocese of West Missouri has prepared (and are sharing other) resources that will help your congregation prepare for these situations prior to a time of need.
If you would be interested in opening your church facility to members of your community for use as a shelter in case of disaster, or would like additional information, please contact the Rev. David Lynch.
- The Emergency Prepared Church Bishop’s Day 2016 Presentation
- Diocesan Emergency Response Plan Rev 2.
Example Church Emergency Plan
ERD Recommended Resources
Church World Service:
United States Government:
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- Ready.gov – U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Pandemic Flu and Avian Flu Information
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention – Emergency Preparedness and Response
American Red Cross:
Additional Resources (Government/Non-Profit Sites)
- 3 COOP Template FBO Presentation
- Developing High Quality EOPs for Houses of Worship
- Guide for Developing High Quality EOPs for Houses of Worship
- Diocesan Emergency Plan Presentation to Clericus 2015
- Faith Based Template – Emergency Response Plan
- FEMA Region VII – Links to Additional Materials
- CDC Guide to Extreme Heat
- Emergency Driving Tactics and Tips
- Emergency Preparedness – Pets
- First Aid Tips for Pet Owners
- Make a Disaster Plan for Your Pets
Additional Resources (Sponsored Commercial Sites)
- Emergency Preparedness – Flooding
- Emergency Preparedness – Legal Documents
- Emergency Preparedness – Guide for Individuals & Families
- How to keep important documents safe
- Homeowners Guide to Lightning Safety
- How to Organize and Prepare for Disasters
- Preparing for Disasters in Your Home: What to Buy, What to Skip
- 11-17-2022. ‘How to keep important documents safe’ added.
- 11-19-2020. Page moved from the main website, example plan added.