The Standing Committee is the Bishop’s counterpart and advisory body providing a check and balance on the Bishop’s authority and also giving the Bishop the benefit of its council.
- Made up of 4 priests and 4 laypersons;
- Nominations welcome from throughout the diocese;
- Self-nomination is permitted;
- Elected by the Diocesan Annual Convention in a concurrent vote by orders;
- 2-year terms, with a limit of 3 consecutive terms.
Additional info: The Standing Committee becomes the Ecclesiastical Authority in the absence or incapacitation of the Bishop. It also has final approval of applications for candidacy and ordinations, consents to episcopal elections, and property sales of diocesan or parochial properties.